Who was right on this issue: Paul or Barnabas? I appreciate it very much. Barnabas, the "son of encouragement" ( Acts 4:36 ), desired to forgive John Mark's failure and to give him another chance. The MacArthur New Testament Commentary: Acts, by John MacArthur. VesuviusAugust 24, 79 AD. His aim is that they help each other fight the fight of On the other hand, we have Barnabas side. Berean Literal Bible Now Barnabas purposed also to take along John, called Mark. We must remember that some in Antioch had already committed themselves to a ministry to the Greek speaking Gentiles living there (Acts 11:20). Are we following through on the ministries God has assigned to us. He deserted them. He is first mentioned by name in the book of Acts in connection with his mother. John Mark had a servant's heart. It is very serious, but Luke only mentions it in one sentence in Paul fell suddenly silent. we skipped over was patiencepatience with other people's The Apostle Paul used the word, deserted them. Verse 37 says, "Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark." Luke chooses the imperfect tense in the Greek for the verb we translate as wanted, indicating Barnabas was persistent and determined in his request. The contention became so sharp between Paul and Barnabas on this issue that they decided to go their separate ways. Yet God clearly brings good out of their decision to form separate missionary teams. here. faith and endure to the end and be saved. This was Paul's great strength. He also helped Paul, Barnabas, and Peter in building and strengthening the early Christian church. Had a fight and Paul insisted that Barnabas send Mark away. John Mark. In answer to the church's prayers, an angel came to Peter and helped him escape. . 3. Cyprus. Paul and Barnabas end up strongly disagreeing and split up. What is the story of Saul of Tarsus before he became the apostle Paul? Im only stating that it took some time before everyone recognized him as such. In 13:13 Luke refers to the group as Paul and his companions1 from which we may infer that Paul is now considered to be the leader of the group which consisted of Barnabas and John Mark (at this point anyway), and perhaps others who were making their way to Asia Minor.2 Moving Paul to the front of the list is Lukes literary way of preparing the reader for the central role Paul will play in the second half of the book of Acts and the Gentile mission. Here are some other examples where he offered encouragement (Acts 4:37)(Acts 11:23)(Acts 13:15)(Acts 14:22). And I suggest that we not too quickly assume that our The King James Bible calls him Marcus. Now there is one other time when the patience of Barnabas moved After having completed the work in Paphos the team of missionaries traveled northwest to the mainland and landed at Perga in the province of Pamphilia. background. There John (Mark) left them and turned back to Jerusalem (an action which later led to a split between Barnabas and Paul), but they continued their journey through Perga to the Antioch in Pisidia [6]. is weak, the other be strong; when the strength of one makes him I suspect it was because Paul In Turkey, Paul and Barnabas made their way to Antioch (the one in Turkey rather than the Antioch in Syria from whence they had come) where they taught in the synagogue and many believed. Thank you for the Biblical question about John Mark,Why did John Mark leave Paul and Barnabas while in Perga and went back to Jerusalem?. . I think that you cn do with a Barnabas and John Mark. 1. Paul and Barnabas took with them John Mark as a helper. This wasnt like his earlier house arrest in Rome where he could freely wonder about. Learn Religions. And no biblical text says not to. happened. rest of the Jews acted insincerely, so that even Barnabas was As recorded in Acts 13:1-3, Saul and Barnabas were called by their priesthood leaders in Antioch, including the "prophets" mentioned in verse 1, to go on a mission, which would become Saul's first missionary journey. Mark the cousin of Barnabas is a figure mentioned in the New Testament, usually identified with John Mark (and thus with Mark the Evangelist). calls these issues "points of prudence." ), In addition, Peter had a VERY strong bond with Mark. We can see in (Acts 13:13) that Mark (John Mark) had accompanied Paul and Barnabas on this trip. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Mark had seen the strength of faith under trial in his mother's home and he had attended his kinsman Barnabas in his labors of zeal and love. John Mark is the author of the second Gospel in the New Testament. Three names appear in the New Testament for this early Christian: John Mark, his Jewish and Roman names; Mark; and John. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26 on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27 in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food,[b] in cold and exposure(NIV). 4. However, halfway through their journey, Mark left them (Acts 13;13). What I mean by first stop on first missionary journey. from anyone who ever lived . Galatians 2.11-14 accounts for the time gap between Acts 15.35 and Acts 15.36, indicated by the words, and after some days in verse 36. And last week we My speculation is that he departed when Paul and Barnabas started preaching to the Gentiles. happened after the team left Cyprus and headed on into Pamphylia. 10 years after the split in Acts 15), we see Paul telling the Colossians to receive (or welcome) Mark if he comes to them. Second, we never see Barnabas and Mark mentioned again the the book of Acts. We don't know why Mark deserted Paul and Barnabas at Perga. Jesus sent out 70 Disciples to preach His Good News. Slaves Were Lifeless Tools in the Ancient World, Meaning of Names, Places & Things in the Bible, Gardens and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, The Roman Phalanx & Hannibals Pincer Movement. So we know Paul and Barnabas disagreed over whether or not Mark should be taken with them on the second missionary journey, but why? wants to give John Mark another chance and he wants to do it failed me and the Hindu deities were of no avail. We are not told. totally captivated me. I believe he had Paul and Barnabas do so by infiltration from within. Barnabas probably did too. 2. The meaning in Hebrew of the word day always means a 24 hour period of time. Rather we should say with Jesus, "Let us watch and pray I have in mind . Paul saw John Mark as a risk to their mission. First, in 1 Corinthians 9:6, some time after The controversyover John Mark was no simple disagreement. John Mark was not one of the 12 apostles of Jesus. Peter and Barnabas were wrong. future obedience. Their actions were out of step faith.". Then after some days, Paul said to Barnabas, "Let us now go back and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the Lord, and see how they are doing.". straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas power of my special mantra was not adequate to my present crisis . Am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Therefore, the lesson to be learned is that none of us should It must have occasioned deep sorrow to Paul and Barnabas, and possibly even then some mutual estrangement, and afterwards it became the cause of their quarrel and separation (Acts 15:37 - 39). John Mark is the cousin of Barnabas, a missionary in the early church, and he may have been present at Jesus' arrest. Check out what Paul later has to say about Mark. Mark must have undergone significant character enhancement since he had last been with Paul, and Paul had grown in his capacity to forgive and recognize the sanctification process in others. as a Christian, suggested that I consider Jesus after I shared my The reasons for John Mark's departure to Jerusalem and the subsequent disagreement between Paul and Barnabas have been subject to much speculation. other, but rejoice in the wisdom of the Spirit who creates and uses Paul was opposed for this very reason. The breach has been (2Corinthians 11:26). cellent blo. 36 "And after some days Paul said to Barnabas, "Let us return and visit the brothers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord, and see how they are." 37 Now Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. It is widely accepted that Mark's Gospel was also a source for the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. Peter had come down to Antioch from Jerusalem and was Second, in 2 Timothy 4:11 Paul says to Timothy, "Luke alone is Barnabas But instead Mark ends up becoming so much more than a failure. Mark took advantage of some vessel which was sailing towards Palestine and returned to Jerusalem (Acts 13:13) which had been his home in earlier years (Acts 12:12, 25). Mark joining a journey lead by Paul at this point would have been unwise. . Col. 4:10). Paul's anger over Mark leaving the team is not revealed in Scripture until it was time for the second missionary adventure. More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free! Especially the communication of the gospel to those who do not yet know Christ. Every strength has its corresponding weakness and we are all Paul felt that Mark had proven unreliable in the past (cf. Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment! neither missionary quit the ministry. He does not While he and Barnabas put their affairs in order and planned out the relevant details of the trip, a disagreement arose between them regarding whether or not John Mark should accompany them. Acts 15.36-41 takes place just before Paul leaves on his second missionary journey. Barnabas wanted to take his cousin, John Mark, along but he and Paul had what the writer of Acts calls in verse 39 a "sharp disagreement" over this point. not agree and a lamentable rupture in their partnership When did this happen? word of God; consider the outcome of their life, and imitate their "Sons of encouragement" are vulnerable to minimizing the So, the church of Antioch sent them on their first missionary trip. Barnabas wanted to give Mark this chance at redemption. Every strength is vulnerable to its corresponding weakness. After making great progress in the Hindu spiritual We saw already (in Acts 9:2630) that Barnabas alone, of all the We also are men, of like nature of the death and resurrection of Jesus, I asked Jesus to forgive my ( Acts 15:39-40) obedience. It is, therefore, rather sad to note that they eventually had a "falling out" of sorts. Towards the end of the book Paul gives a list of personal instructionsmainly comprised of several people to greet and one person in particular to dodge. But we still need to adhere to Paul's wisdom of doing ALL we can to live in harmony with one another. 14But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?. No details were given about the details when John Mark's earlier leaving was recorded in Acts 13:13 but at this point in time Paul now describes the earlier event as a desertion ( Acts . He may have felt that Paul took unnecessary risks in confronting the Jews and putting his own life in jeopardy. The text does not state specifically the reason why John left Paul and Barnabas to return to Jerusalem until Acts 15:37-39. Most people in the world have no experience of lasting joy in their lives. Biblical Record. different strengths. We are not to suppose that the behavior Mark displayed was an absolute rejection of Christianity. man named John Mark back to Antioch with them from Jerusalem. Paul knew that when the accursed . And John left them and returned to A chance to redeem himself. Barnabas to conform to their expectations rather than stand up for Jews. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is very useful to me for ministry. In Pauls final hour he requested only five things: for Timothy to come soon (v 9), for him to bring Mark with him (v 11), and to bring his cloak, his books, and the parchments (v 13). 2 Cor 11:26 ), or been a little disgruntled at Paul taking over the lead of the team from his cousin Barnabas. over the biography of every man except Jesus): Men, why are you doing this? the principle of gospel liberty? From Cyprus they sailed to Perga in Pamphylia (southern Turkey) where John left them to return to Jerusalem. This half-sentence tucked away by Luke in Acts 13:13 would become a huge paragraph in the lives of Paul, Barnabas and John Mark. The most common explanation is that the missionary journeys was too hard on John Mark. Early Christian CommunionWine or Mingled Wine? Here, chains shackled him to the grimy wall behind him and if he could see any daylightat all, it was very little. Verse 37 says, Barnabaswanted to take with them John called Mark. Luke chooses the imperfect tense in the Greek for the verbwe translate aswanted, indicating Barnabas was persistent and determined in his request. really like reading an artice that will make people think. and molds us according to his choosing. bitterness and resentment that are bad. John Mark abandoned them early in the trip, but all told, Paul and Barnabas would travel an estimated 1400 miles by land and sea. He wasnt prepared for such a long trip. Paul had the great idea to go back to Asia to see how the believers were doing in their faith. There were only 8 people in Noahs Ark. Acts 13:5) and their send off on what has been called Paul's first missionary journey in Acts. I try to give a fair and balance answer to the questions that I write on. The last mention of Mark occurs in 1 Peter 5:13, where Peter calls Mark his "son," no doubt a sentimental reference because Mark had been so helpful to him. yield. And John (Mark) left them and returned to Jerusalem.. First, we see in (Acts 15:40), Paul and Silas being commissioned by the brethren before being sent out, while we do not see this with Barnabas and Mark. Updated April 09, 2019. encouragement. Mark accompanied Barnabas and Paul on their missionary travels. Mark was the child of a religious mother who had sheltered in her house the Christian disciples during a fierce persecution. that all the Barnabases become Pauls or that all the Pauls become I think not. Could it be that it was too much for John Mark? Paul disagrees. agencies who will send almost anyone who wants to go. thought he was speaking directly to me. for his glory. What should we learn from the account of Paul and Barnabas? Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus, but Paul chose Silas and departed, having been commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord. The weeks went by and still I could not get away from the More than anything else I wanted the He wrote 2 Timothy to set his affairs in order and to give his last words to Timothy who would carry on Pauls ministry after his death. But Paul insisted that they should not take with them the one who had departed . What should we learn from the account of Paul and Silas. now on. Diverse people in the body of Christ need each other's Get Mark, and bring him with you because he is helpful to me in my ministry. (II Timothy 4:11). The man he wanted to leave behind years before had become highly valuable to him. Its called sanctification. needed each other's different strengths. Thus John Mark, a resident of Jerusalem (12:12) struggling as Peter had with the offer of the gospel to Gentiles (cf. He does not seem to take sides. ." But is it bad that one this, like you wrote the book in it or somthing. The ark of the covenant may be captured by the Philistine Paul And John Mark. He also helped Paul, Barnabas, and Peter in building and strengthening the early Christian church. Paul cheerfully responded. Barnabas took Mark and sailed for Cyprus, but Paul chose Silas and left, commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord. Retrieved from https://www.learnreligions.com/john-mark-author-of-the-gospel-of-mark-701085. those things which lie behind and straining forward to what lies Perhaps the Jerusalem Councils decision had a large enough impact to give him a new perspective from the one he held back in Acts 13. Why were some books removed from the Bible? because he stood condemned.